Have you ever wanted to help out a customer and were not able to? Do you know a person that is hard working, puts everything they have into supporting their family and wants to better their lives? Do you want to help but are not sure how to make a difference? Second Chances Garage is an organization that can help you do just that. Second Changes Garage was founded in 2010 with the mission to “provide affordable, reliable transportation to economically vulnerable individuals and families.” Having reliable transportation is key for self-sufficiency, secure employment and child care. To help deliver on that, Second Chances Garage offers appropriate vehicles for low income individuals at a cost that they can afford. Their Low-Cost Vehicle Program works with partnering agencies to match a vehicle to someone that is truly trying to improve their life.
To help keep up with the demand for vehicles, Second Chances Garage accepts donated vehicles into their program. If a vehicle is in good shape, under 200,000 miles it is repaired and Maryland State inspected. Sometimes the volume of vehicles or the level of repair requires them to look for help. Outside garages have partnered with Second Chances to help keep up with the need of their programs. Dynamic Automotive is proud to be a partner and was happy to help repair the 100th car Second Changes placed in the Frederick Area. Franklin, a Frederick native that operates his own detailing business, was the recipient of the 2000 Honda Accord. He was ecstatic to receive the vehicle knowing it will help him achieve his goals just a little bit easier. Having a reliable vehicle enables him to improve operations at his business and take care of his family even better. Both Second Chances Garage and Dynamic Automotive were there to celebrate with Franklin as he started the engine of his new car! If you have a car to donate please give Second Chances a call and if you are in need of assistance go to their website for further information on how they can help.
To apply for a car you must contact one of the partnering agencies to fill out an application. The sponsoring partner will write a letter of recommendation for the applicant. These agencies will assist you in filling out the application once it is determined that you qualify and can afford car ownership. Some of the requirements for the program that are directly from www.SecondChancesGarage.org are:
- Must be a legal resident of the United States.
- Must be gainfully employed.
- Must have an active, ongoing relationship with a Partner Agency or be a recent program graduate.
- Must be at least 25 years of age (may be younger if there are dependent children in the household).
- Must be able to afford vehicle ownership with approximately $200 a month of expendable income to cover auto insurance, gasoline, maintenance/repair costs, and savings for a car 2-3 years down the road.
- Must not own or have a vehicle titled in one’s own name or have access to a vehicle in the household.
- Must have no current or pending criminal or DUI/DWI charges.
- Must have no outstanding insurance violations.
- Talk with your Partner Agency contact/case manager about jointly completing an application. Program fee of $500 plus $278 (title/tags/registration) is payable when the application is submitted.
- Submit completed applications with the supporting documentation listed below. Applications received by the second Friday of each month will be reviewed by members of the Board of Directors at the end of the month.
Second Chances Garage offers different programs to help meet the needs of the community. If someone does not qualify for this program they are still able to purchase a vehicle from their Affordable Car Program. These vehicles may be the perfect option for the right person. They also have a low cost repair program to help people who qualify get their car repaired at a reduced rate. Second Chances Garage is here to help the community grow through the use of transportation. It’s their goal to help those who want to help themselves through the use of reliable transportation.
About Second Chances Garage
With a passion for cars and helping those in need, Second Chances Garage (a 501(c)3 nonprofit) seeks to make a difference in our community of Frederick County, Maryland by offering “second chances” for individuals and families on their journey to independent living by providing assistance with their personal transportation needs. We are soliciting donations of vehicles from the local community, refurbishing them, and placing them with individuals who are gainfully employed and referred to us by Partner Agencies. (Taken from www.SecondChancesGarage.org)