Greater Urbana Food Bank
Greater Urbana Food Bank
There’s always someone in need. A person or family that needs a helping hand to get through a tough spell. Not having proper nourishment and feeling hungry has to be an awful feeling. Not having necessary supplies and clothing can have a disastrous effect on someone. Winter is hard enough on everyone, and for those in need it is almost unbearable, fortunately there are those that want to help. The wife and husband team at the Greater Urbana Food Bank are just those people. Since 1990, they have helped countless people get through a tough time. Their mission is “Serving needy families in Southern Frederick County, Maryland Communities: Urbana, Buckeystown, Ijamsville, Monrovia, Adamstown, Green Valley, New Market and portions of Mt. Airy”. Currently they serve 209 local families providing them with food on a regular basis. The food bank also helps provide emergency food distribution to those who qualify. The Greater Urbana Food Bank is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Donations are always needed and greatly appreciated..
In December Dynamic Automotive in Urbana held a Free Car Wash Day. Simply bring a canned food for the food bank and we would give you a Free Tsunami Car Wash. This event was a huge hit and we were able to gather lots of food to help those in need this winter. A picture of the donations is below. Food is not the only needed item; clothing, household goods, furniture, and appliances are accepted with notice. You can drop off items at 4310 Reels Mill Rd. Frederick, MD 21704 or contact them at 240-529-4815. For more information on events and items needed are listed below. This information was retrieved from their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/Greater-Urbana-Area-Food-Bank-a-Non-Profit-Organization-284307381581458/
“Programs throughout the year:
- On-going Food for the Needy collection of perishable and non-perishable foods; We do have refrigerators and freezers.
- Super Bowl Soup Collection coincides with Super Bowl Weekend
- Baby Bottoms Program the month of February collects diaper, wipes and much more. Benefits local families with young children.
- Lent Giving of Story Books and Kindergarten school supplies for Frederick County Head Start
- Plant-a-Row in your garden and donate produce
- Urbana Farmers’ Market provides us with garden overflow all season. Our families love the healthy choices they have during this time.
- We collect school supplies all summer.
- Thanksgiving food give-away.
- Advent Giving Program last year provided over 2,000 gifts to the poor. Adopt a family at Christmas.
- We accept furniture clothing and appliances. Call first to donate larger items.
- We help empty houses in the event of a move or move to assisted living or other situations.
- Each family receives a bible; donations of bibles accepted.
General Information On Items To Donate
If you wonder what items to donate to the Greater Urbana Area Food Bank, think of the FIRST 10…..these are the first 10 items you use in the morning. Our families need those very same things…toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, bar soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, feminine hygiene products, coffee, and cereal.
We are also frequently out of the following:
- Canned tuna, chicken, Spam, Vienna Sausages
- Canned fruit in fruit juice
- Chef Boyardee products
- Flavored Instant Oatmeal
- 100% Juices
- Shelf-stable milk
- Meals-in-a-box or can (like Hamburger Helper, stew, chili)
- Pantry staples
- Peanut butter
People who need food need LOTS of other things, too. We get requests for: clothing, furniture, appliances, household goods, baby furniture, clothing and diapers; help with doctor and dentist co-pays, prescription and over the counter drugs; car repairs and purchase of tires; assistance with rent and other bills.”
Remember anything can help. Help out your neighbors in need and give a little to help a lot.